Thursday, January 24, 2008

eyes in pencils and in pens

While riding the water taxi this afternoon into the great metropolis of Siam, I decided to read, rather than meaninglessly sway back and forth to the rocking of the boat. I've been reading this book for...well, almost a year- and yes, I'm still not finished; however, I like to justify my actions by saying that I'm just taking the time to let it all really soak in.

John Piper's insight is fantastic. I know, I know- as I've said before- BUT, hey, I went to school for marketing- So, just look at my support of his literary genius as pro-bono marketing work. In today's reading, Piper addresses how writing has played such a crucial role in his growth mentally and spiritually, he states:

"Writing is a way of slowing us down and opening our eyes to see what we do not otherwise see.
This struck me so forcefully one day that I paused and wrote:

'I know not how the light is shed,
Nor understand this lens.
I only know that there are eyes
In pencils and in pens' "

Writing is soothing and yet so exhausting at times. I find myself frantically writing line after line of thoughts that seem to only snowball into a page full of...well..nothingness at times; but, at times when I later return and reread over that written nothingness, that nothingness becomes somethingness- and, usually, I can gain some sort of insight from my past writings.

Once arriving to my destination and hopping off the river taxi, I headed to the Starbucks to order what has become my "usual".

Yes, it's true- I have "a usual".
I am now one of those- one of those snobs ordering " the usual,"
however, snobbish or not, it's become a little routine that I look forward to sipping on such frequent occasion. As my "usual" Barista was preparing my fine cup of iced coffee, she looked up at me, smiled, and asked me how long I'd be here in Thailand.

I've seen this woman four days a week for almost two months now, and only now did I discover she speaks great English. She ("Jun" is her name,) directed me towards her friend that was waiting for her drink to be made at the pickup counter. Her wide-eyed friend looked up (yes, literally...up- she's about 4 ft tall) at me and began questioning me with the usual- "where do you live?" (which is usually followed with an bitter looking far, a perplexed glare and a "really? that's far"- mostly because many white people don't make it out to where I live in the Latphrao ghetto) questions following regularly include: "how long are you here?" "where are you going?" and "where do you come from?"

Once my friendly interrogation was finished, she laughingly suggested that maybe I could teach her some English. I was astonished. A two minute conversation with this woman and she decides that I'm the one to help her with her English.

I AM SO EXCITED. You see, in my little, lonesome world of teaching, cycling classes and long walk with my boyfriend (yes..that's right. my boyfriend.. Have I told you about him? He's small, black, and always with me..singing sweet songs to me..keeping me company..) I've named him iPod. This world of mine is more like a bubble...a bubble of an American girl surrounded by everything Thai, lacking much interaction on a daily basis. Sometimes, the entire weekend passes without having the opportunity to say more than a "hello" or "thank you" seeing as my Thai vocabulary hasn't really been extended more than the basics; however, I've been praying for opportunities to just TALK.

I was in the line at Subway the other day and there was a woman in front of me that was white. TARGET.
I took out my earphones and thought of just something to ask her..just anything.something...anything I could say just to talk to someone! I think I ended up saying something as foolish and meaningless as "hmm..looks good. Never tried that.." which lead to a speedy introductory conversation where I learned she's lived here for 5 years, she's from Alaska- and, she LOVES it here. I would love it here too if I was from such a frigid, inconvenient ice cap.

Talking felt so good- to both the Subway Eskimo and the friend of my "usual" Barista.

God answered my prayer by bringing me to Starbucks at that moment where I met Nong. I will now be meeting with Nong on Sunday evenings at 6, to enjoy a good coffee and English conversation.

Wow- God is so good. Not only does He answer my prayers- but, He answers prayers and gives me the chance to enjoy coffee.

cheers.

2 comments:

snowskcone said...

I am very surprised that neither the barista, the barista's friend, or the subway eskimo asked your blood type!
Well...maybe not the eskimo.....
Interesting blog....
V <---peace

:: TheRealEricE :: said...

You know, I also want a girlfriend whose name is iPod but i've yet to get one.....
Dang....
No doubt she's the girl for me...